From the eminently practical to the slightly outlandish, these sites help
bring China & Tibet to you. General sites not necessarily about China,
but nonetheless recommended by us, are listed separately. See our Miscellaneous
updated travel advisories/warnings and general travel info, put out by the
database of travellers' questions and
General China Sites
Bangkok-based publishing house solely for books about Asian areas and
subjects (Himalayas, flora & fauna, textiles,
religion, linguistics, etc.). Also has out-of-print books,
old maps and prints (16c-19c).
- specialist bookstore (branches in Kunming, Dali & Lijiang). Can order books online.
collaborative project to publish first modern English account of vascular
plants o China. With manuscripts, data, images and editorial centres.
- China's only English newspaper and Xinhua News Agency's English web site.
Read what the Chinese are reading.
put out by Douglas Eisenstark, a licensed herbalist and Acupuncturist. Some
informative sections on Taiqi, Traditional Chinese Medicine, and Chinese
Medicine and Art.
- founded in 1997 by Pamela Logan, it is engaged in a wide range of programs,
covering education, preservation and restoration of architecture, economic
- founded in 1996 and run solely by volunteers, it donates ALL proceeds
to orphanages in China's more rural, less travelled areas.
expat Shanghai, the definitive guide for people living or working in, or
coming to visit, China's largest and fastest growing city.
China Cultural Sites
- an excellent and technologically innovative site serving as a general clearing
house on all scholarly aspects of Tibetan/Himalayan region.
- for lovers of classical Chinese - this is a primary source for the
Chinese classics - art, calligraphy, poetry, history, literature, Chinese